2016年2月17日 星期三

You've Got Mail - 10. Do you think we should meet?


INT. JOE'S DEN - NIGHT 
Joe writes on his computer. Brinkley on the floor next to him. And cut between Joe and his computer screen. 

JOE (V.O.) - Do you ever feel you become the worst version of yourself? That a Pandora's Box of all the secret hateful parts -- your arrogance, your spite, your condescension -- has sprung open. Someone provokes you, and instead of just smiling and moving on, you zing them. Hello, it's Mr. Nasty. I'm sure you have no idea what I'm talking about. 

INT. KATHLEEN'S COMPUTER SCREEN - DAY 
And cut between screen and INT. KATHLEEN'S BEDROOM - DAY 
As Kathleen reads the end of Joe's letter. Kathleen hits the Reply key and starts to type: 

KATHLEEN (V.O.) - No, I know what you mean and I'm completely jealous. What happens to me when I'm provoked is that I get tongue-tied. My mind goes... blank. Then, then I spent all night  tossing and turning, trying to figure out what I should have said. What should I have said, for example, to the bottom-dweller...who recently belittled my existence? Nothing, nothing. Even now. Even now, days later, I can't figure it out.

INT. JOE'S COMPUTER SCREEN AND JOE'S DEN - NIGHT 
As he replies: 

JOE (V.O.) - Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could pass all my zingers to you? And then I'd never behave badly and you could behave badly all the time and we'd both be happy. On the other hand, I must warn you, that when you have the pleasure of saying the thing you mean to say...the moment you mean to say it, remorse inevitably follows.....Do you think we should meet? 

INT. KATHLEEN'S COMPUTER SCREEN AND BEDROOM - DAY 

Kathleen stares at Joe's letter in her computer. She's frozen. 

KATHLEEN - Meet? Oh my god.

She sits staring at the letter. She has no idea what to do. 


沒有留言:

張貼留言